For more information or to make an appointment, please call us at (773) 962-0395 or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Survivor Healing and Empowerment Program is built upon a set of core beliefs of how we view violence, institutional racism, trauma and healing. Working through the lens of our Guiding Principles, our therapeutic approaches include:
- Trauma-Informed Care: An approach that recognizes the potential for re-traumatization in service delivery and that emphasizes safety, trust, and transparency.
- Psychosocial Accompaniment: An approach that centers the respect for and dignity of the survivor, and emphasizes the cultural and historical nature of harm.
- Harm Reduction: An approach that destigmatizes behavior and uses a spectrum of strategies to cope.
- Community Counseling: An approach that recognizes that an individual’s psychological development is closely aligned with the nature and behavior of social institutions. These institutions can impair or improve the wellness of individuals, families and communities. Healing activities must develop awareness of the role of social institutions in the lives and health of community members.
The Chicago Torture Justice Center recognizes that the impact of police torture and violence is felt across many levels and requires interventions at these levels. Services are offered directly to our participants and the broader community in order to influence the environmental factors that harm our members. They include:
- One-on-one therapy
- Case management
- Referrals to somatic healers for massage, acupuncture, etc.
- Family therapy
- Support groups
- Community events
- Monthly RISE community meeting held the second Saturday of every month for individuals impacted by police violence to build community and organize towards a collective vision
- Survivor and Family Member Advisory Council (SFAC) – leadership body of survivors and family members
- Speakers Bureau – space for healing, community education and engagement through storytelling
To learn more or schedule an appointment, call us at (773) 962-0395 or send us an email: email@example.com